Fall for Fun!

Fall cookies! by you.

It's the last day of September, and I couldn't be more content. It's autumn! The seasons are shifting! And best of all, it's almost October- the month of Halloween, cider, harvest festivals, beautiful leaves... you can't beat it.

I used to think that fall was all about hunkering down, but this year, I'm learning that autumn season is all about getting out! Here are some fun activities to toss on your autumnal to-do list:

VISIT FARMERS MARKETS
So many delicious foods are in season- broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, oranges, leeks, sweet potatoes, lettuce... you might as well buy it at its freshest. Even if you don't feel like buying fresh produce, it's nice to visit farmer's markets. They're an excuse to slow down, enjoy the crisp fall weather, and indulge in some great people watching.

VISIT FARMS
Call me a late bloomer, but I had never been apple picking before. Boy was I missing out! Nothing tastes better than a freshly-picked apple. If you're near an apple orchard, pay it a visit- or several. I picked as many apples as I could carry last weekend, and they're already almost gone! Don't know where to go? PickYourOwn.org can help you find a farm near you.

GO TO HARVEST FESTIVALS
Lots of local farms host fall harvest festivals, complete with corn mazes, hayrides, and pumpkin patches. I haven't been to one since I was a kid, and I think it's time to go back. Maybe you should too! Hey, if you're in Utah, you can even die laughing in a corn maze of the Twilight nature- harharhar!

BAKE
I am a major fan of pumpkin pie. And sugar cookies (do you like the autumn batch I baked up?). And chocolatey sweets. Take that fresh produce you pick and purchase and whip up something delicious. Life may be chaotic, but when you're smelling the warm aroma of baking pie, it's difficult to fret about much of anything.

CELEBRATE
Nobody is too old for Halloween. Whether you host a party, trick-or-treat with your kids and family, or turn of all your lights and hide away from "those darn hooligans," you can find a fun Halloween activity that suits you. Such as roasting pumpkin seeds. YUM.

No matter what you do this season, I hope you have a blast doing it. If you have any fun fall suggestions of your own, leave a comment to share it with the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment